Saturday, February 23, 2008

Journey to the Philippines Part 4: Meeting with the Presidents—Past and Current

FJ Volume 22, Number 3
Feb 05-20, 2008

I have so many wonderful memories of my trip to the Philippines July to August, 2007 that I’ve written about: attending the Ambassadors’, Consul Generals’, and Tourism Directors’ Tour (ACGTDT), a visit to the Senate and Philippine National Red Cross with Senator Dick Gordon, important interviews and continuing work on my Field Practicum for my Master’s in Public Health exploring the migration of Filipino doctors and health care workers to Canada. This column reviews my meetings with the Presidents—Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and Fidel V. Ramos.

With the help and coordination of Senator Gordon, I was able to attend the July 28th inauguration of the Pacific Pearl Airways at Subic International Airport where President Macapagal-Arroyo and many other politicians and Pinoy bigwigs were going to be. The evening before, I hitched a ride to Subic with the dynamic Congresswoman Carissa Coscoluella where I got to ask her about her personal experience with Philippine politics while she treated me to a Jollibee Double Yum/Cheesy Cheese Fries combo on the drive up. The following morning I went to the Airport for the inauguration where I joked and shared a sumptuous lunch with the distinguished and charming members of the police force seated at my table. After President GMA entered, several presentations ensued. Following the festivities were some foto ops at the front, and I was lucky to get swept up in the crowd to get a photo with her. Amidst the crowd, I met briefly with GMA where I delivered a very short speech I prepared in Tagalog, thanks to the help of my table-mates and the servers. She was extremely gracious and quite warm, holding my hand and giving me a big hug. I then got a tour of Subic, including a look at the bankers where war supplies and ammo were kept, feeding the fish at Camayan Beach, an exhilarating Slide For Life in the jungle, checking out the macaque monkeys and bats, and topped off with a gorgeous Parasailing experience. I treated my guides to a delicious Pilipino meal at CocoLime’s before the drive home. What an awesome jam-packed day!

After my chance meeting with the gregarious former President Fidel Ramos at the PNRC, I gathered enough bravado to request an interview/meeting with him. I got the call that I would be meeting him August 6, 2007, 4 pm at his office at the 26th Floor, Ramos Peace and Dev’t Foundn (RPDEV). When he met with me, there was a bluster of activity while he spent a lot of his precious time setting me up with photographs, copies of his and others’ writing, and some keepsakes which he very graciously autographed for me, including a couple of books, one of his famous cigars, and a golfball! He reviewed the motto of his Foundation--a nonpartisan, non-profit, non-stock organization dedicated to achieving lasting piece, sustainable development, democratic governance and promoting socio-economic diplomacy in the Philippines and in the larger Asia-Pacific region: “Responsible citizenship is caring for others sharing what the Almighty has given each of us, and daring to make a positive difference in others’ lives. It is this quality of caring, sharing and daring for each other that the defining quality of what is called ‘civic responsibility.’” I learned of many of his initiatives and projects he is working on, including advocating for reforms to address the water crisis in Asia. He gave me a tour of the RPDEV rooms—first off was the Mt. Everest Room where he showed me his proud display of the three young Filipinas he supported who were the first to climb Mt. Everest. He taught me a lot of the history of the Philippines and about the important aspects of leadership, including the basics of leading a country. We discussed the problems of poverty and politics, including a comparison of the current administration with that of 10 years ago. He spoke of the war on terrorism and the importance of respecting religious differences. President Ramos was extremely funny, cracking jokes about golf and turning 100 years old to Department of Environment and Natural Resources Chairman, Cirio Santiago and me over a glass of wine. We discussed medical tourism and setting up health care facilities in areas of need as well as development of land. He showed me many of his photographs and shared anecdotes with me, and ended my meeting with a motivational greeting to the Filipino community in Canada, “The Philippines is a great country and so is Canada. But Filipinos …(-)Canadians or Canadians who used to be Filipinos should be sure to visit the motherland, which is the Philippines, because here we are caring sharing, and daring…We earned our independence just like Canada, the hard way. And they’re still fighting as a people to keep it pure, to keep it according to universal standards, and so, we need the help of everyone, including those out there, especially the Filipino-Canadians….the Philippines and Canada have an enduring partnership to promote a better world for everyone. This is what we call the Ramos Development Foundation. Our caring sharing and daring for each other and for everyone else. Thank you. Mabuhay. Kaiwana ito. We can do it.”

I was so honoured to take in such positive energy from GMA and “Steady Eddie” and to come home with so many gifts and memories from them. Maraming salamat po, Presidents past and present for the tremendous experience! Alagaan ninyo ang katawan at kalusugan ninyo! Until next time, take care, and mind your health!

No comments: